1 Week Intensive – Stage 1 – Learn To Sew, Make A Skirt, Make A Dress
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This stage of the course is aimed at absolute beginners as well as those who already have some experience but want to wish to perfect their technique to achieve a professional finish. It the ideal starting point for those wishing to make clothes for themselves, become an excellent seamstress, apply for a fashion degree or to potentially set up a business or to gain industry level skills and eventually work within the fashion industry.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
The course has 3 elements. It will include:
Learn to Sew
- What to look for when you’re buying a sewing machine
- You’ll learn about the machine parts and the up keep of the machine
- How to choose the correct needles and threads
- How to wind the bobbin, thread the machine correctly and adjust the tension.
- How to sew basic stitches, make an open seam, a closed seam
- How to finish raw edges
- How to sew edge stitch and top stitch
- How to sew curves and corners.
- How to make and attach a facing
- How to use fusing and interfacing.
- How to sew a simple dart and a contour dart.
- How to Insert a concealed zip and a lapped zip.
- How to sew gathers and frills
- How to make an elasticated casing
- How to make a turned hem and an invisible hem and a pin hem.
- How to make a machined buttonhole.
Make a Skirt
We provide you with a cut out calico skirt and you will practice skills learnt in Learn to Sew by making a Skirt.
- Labelling and washing instructions.
- Methods of production and order of construction
- Lay pattern on fabric mark and cut out, fuse.
- Basic use of over-locker to finish seams.
- Attach a patch pocket
- Insert a lapped zip
- Sew and top stitch seams
- Attach a waistband.
- Make a turned hem
- Make a button hole and attach a button.
- Press and finish.
Make a Dress
Practice techniques learnt in Sewing Techniques by making a Dress. We will provide the pattern and you bring a fabric of your choice.
- Learn how to select the right fabrics for your garments.
- Grain lines, Bias cutting. Nap. Lay plans.
- How to lay pattern on fabric, mark and cut out.
- The preparation of cut pieces for construction order of construction.
- Sewing and bagging out a lining.
- Sew princess line seams
- Make tucks and gathers
- Insert a concealed zip.
- Make an invisible hem
- Press and finish
HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE DO I ALREADY NEED?
You don’t need any previous experience to join this course. The course starts with the absolute basics but quickly moves onto cover lots of sewing techniques to take you to an intermediate level. It’s good for absolute beginners as well as those who already have sewing skills and wish to perfect their technique to achieve a professional finish.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
Most materials are provided. You will need fabric, lining and a zip for the dress. We will send details when you book.
WHAT COURSE WOULD YOU RECOMMEND AFTER THIS ONE?
You could move onto our 4-day intensive Stage 2 Shirt Making Skills and Stage 3 Trouser Making Skills course or you may wish to take our How to Sew Stretch Fabrics and make a T shirt 1day course or the Couture Sewing Techniques courses.
WHAT HAVE PEOPLE SAID ABOUT THIS COURSE
“A big thank you for the Professional Sewing Skills courses. I learnt so much and you made it so fun and easy to understand. I also made new friends along the way, which is as important as making all those wonderful items in the courses. The teacher had the patience of a saint when explaining anything to us, and that is a quality in itself. You gave us valuable information which no books can ever give. The level of teaching is at professional level, and much better than going to any colleges to learn these subjects. This is down to you, Susan and your staff. I thank you again for a memorable experience at Fashion Antidote.”
“I just wanted to send you an email to say that I really enjoyed the Professional Sewing Skills courses I went on and learnt a lot more than I thought was possible to do in a week as a complete beginner and I love the dress I made. Karine was a really great instructor!”