PROFESSIONAL PATTERN CUTTING
Professional Pattern Cutting for Skirts
Longer class price: £300
Draft and Fit a Skirt Block, Pattern Manipulations and Style Development for Skirts
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is suitable for home dressmakers who wish to make or adapt patterns for themselves to achieve a perfect fit when making their own clothes. It would also be ideal for those wishing to achieve professional level of pattern cutting skills to work in the industry or set up their own business. It’s also perfect for fashion students or graduates to add to their technical skills.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
We will first introduce you to pattern making jargon, terminology, equipment and methods.
Then the course will include:
- Working from a set of measurements- either your own or a standard size – you will draft a skirt block.
- Construct the block in calico and fit to body.
- Transfer adjustments to the block and trace onto card to create your own personal block.
- Adding flare
- Dart manipulation
- Turning darts into seams.
- Creating Skirt Styles – Panel Skirt, A line Skirt, Pencil Skirt with a vent, Circle and half circle skirt
- Pleats, Gathers, Frills and Flounces
- Drafting a waist facing and waistbands
- Pattern Draft – Draft a full scale pattern for a Skirt of your own design to include seam allowances, annotations and all pattern markings
HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE DO I ALREADY NEED?
This class is aimed at absolute beginners. You need to have at least basic sewing skills to take get the best out of this course. [The only sewing on the course is sewing the toile.]
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
You don’t need to bring anything as all materials and equipment are provided. If you would like to have and use your own equipment we can give you a voucher to receive a discount at certain retail outlets where you can purchase your own.
WHAT COURSE WOULD YOU RECOMMEND AFTER THIS ONE?
When you have completed this course you can move onto Stage 2 Pattern Cutting for Tops and Dresses – Draft and Fit a Bodice and Sleeve Block, pattern manipulations and style development for tops and dresses
WHAT HAVE PEOPLE SAID ABOUT THIS COURSE?
“Personal tuition in a small group meant that this course covered a huge amount of ground without losing us on the way. The tuition was professional and friendly, with the tutors sharing practical, personal experience as well as instruction. Attendees ranged from amateurs wanting to learn to those wanting to make a business in fashion; the mix worked well. I will definitely take further courses from Fashion Antidote.”