PROFESSIONAL PATTERN CUTTING
Pattern Cutting for Skirts, Tops, Dresses and the Sleeve (1 Week Intensive)
Draft and Fit a Skirt Block and a Bodice Block, Pattern Manipulations and Style Development for Skirts, Tops and Dresses
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is suitable for home dressmakers who wish to make or adapt patterns for themselves to achieve a perfect fit. It would also be ideal for those wishing to achieve professional level of pattern cutting skills to work in the industry or set up their own business. It’s also perfect for fashion students or graduates to add to their technical skills.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
We will first introduce you to pattern making jargon, terminology, equipment and methods.
Then the course will include:
Pattern Cutting for Skirts
- Working from a set of measurements- either your own or a standard size – you will draft a skirt block.
- Construct the block in calico and fit to body.
- Transfer adjustments to the block and trace onto card to create your own personal block.
- Adding Flare
- Darts manipulation
- Moving darts
- Turning darts into seams.
- Creating Skirt Styles – Panel Skirt, A line Skirt, Pencil Skirt with a vent, Circle and half circle skirt
- Pleats, Gathers.
- Frills and Flounces
- Drafting a waist facing
- Drafting waistbands
- Pattern Draft – Draft a full scale pattern for a Skirt of your own design to include seam allowances, annotations and all pattern markings
Pattern Cutting for Tops and Dresses
- Working from a set of measurements- either your own or a standard size – you will draft a bodice block.
- Construct the block in calico and fit to body. Transfer adjustments to the block and trace onto card
- Darts and dart manipulation- Moving darts and removing darts
- Turning darts into seams
- Wing seam
- Princess line seam
- Empire line seam.
- Adding fullness, gathers etc.
- Button wrap
- Pattern Draft – Draft a full scale pattern for a Top of your own design to include seam allowances, annotations and all pattern markings.
HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE DO I ALREADY NEED?
This class is aimed at absolute beginners. You need to have at least basic sewing skills to take get the best out of this course. [The only sewing on the course is sewing the toile.]
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
You don’t need to bring anything as all materials and equipment are provided. If you would like to have and use your own equipment we can give you a voucher to receive a discount at certain retail outlets where you can purchase your own.
WHAT COURSE WOULD YOU RECOMMEND AFTER THIS ONE?
When you have completed this course you can move onto 4 Day Intensive Pattern Cutting Stages 3 and 4 for Trousers and Shirts – Draft and fit a Trouser and a Shirt Block, pattern manipulations and style development for trousers and shirts
WHAT HAVE PEOPLE SAID ABOUT THIS COURSE?
“I enjoyed the week’s course immensely. I learned so many new techniques and now have to put them into practise. I made my own block for a skirt and bodice and now understand how to use them in a variety of ways. The teacher was excellent. All equipment was provided and I have since invested in my own tools. I would recommend Fashion Antidote to all aspiring dressmakers. I intend signing up for further courses in the future.”
“I have just finished the course: Stage 1 & 2 Pattern cutting for Skirt, Bodice Teacher was amazing and there was no time to be wasted. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wish I would have known the course earlier. Thank you so much:)”