Susan Backhouse is a successful business woman, highly experienced women’s wear designer with wide experience within the fashion industry and extensive practice in education as a tutor, senior lecturer, course manager and team leader. She has run several successful fashion businesses and gained a prominent level of achievement and recognition as a fashion designer and educator.
Susan ran her own fashion labels “Susan Backhouse” and “SUB conscious” throughout the 80’s and early 90’s. She showed regularly at London Fashion Week. Her collections were stocked in outlets in the U.K. and around the world including Harvey Nichols, Harrods, Liberty, Whistles, Reiss and Review in London and Macy’s, Saks Fifth Avenue, Nieman Marcus and Fred Segal in the USA. She also ran her own retail outlet in London’s Hyper- Hyper Designer outlet as well as a concession in Harvey Nichols “Zone” young fashion department and produced collections for Harvey Nichols own “Zone “label.
Freelance work enabled her to design for the high street and mass market. Her designs retailed in Top Shop, Miss Selfridge’s, River Island and H&M.
Susan has been teaching full and part time for many years. She has taught on B.A. Degree, H.N.D., National Diploma, Foundation, B.T.E.C. and Diploma courses. She was a full -time lecturer at University of East London and Nottingham Trent University, Croydon College and Westminster Adult Education Services and as a Visiting Lecturer at London College of Fashion, Middlesex University, University of the West of England and University of Central England.
• Susan’s collections were featured in major fashion magazines and newspapers both at home and abroad including I.D. The Face, Marie Claire, Elle, Vogue, The Times, The Telegraph and The Guardian.
• Interviewed and her work featured on television on The Clothes Show and on 01 for London T.V. programmes.
• In 2006.- Panel member discussing how to get into the Fashion Industry along with Hilary Riva from the British Fashion Council as part of “Funky Faroe Islands” in collaboration with LCF at Somerset House.
• In 2002 – Member of recognition panel for the Open College Network, a national organisation that creates and awards qualifications for fashion courses.
• In 1990 – A/W Collection and catwalk show was sponsored by Smirnoff Ltd.
• In 1986 and 1987 – Collections were displayed in the windows and stairwells of Harvey Nichols and she was part of a “Meet the Designers” event within the store.
• In 1986 – S/S collection was collection used by the British Fashion Council to promote British Fashion in Brazil.
• In 1985 – S/S collection featured on news and current affairs programmes coast to coast in U.S.A. promoting young British Designers.
• In 1986 Susan was listed in Debrett’s 500 as one of the most influential people of the year for her work in fashion.
What our students say
I just want to say a big, big thank you for everything you taught me. You were the only reason I didn’t quit college a long time ago.
Michaela, B.A Hons student
Thank you so much for everything, you really changed my life.
Petra, Foundation student
I want to say thank you from my heart for all I have learnt in your courses. I really enjoyed your way of teaching and you were doing that very well.
Laurine, Adult Education student