LEARN TO SEW
Weekend Morning Learn to Sew Classes
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This class is aimed at absolute beginners who would like to start making clothes, cushions, bags, alterations etc and want to learn a wide range of sewing and construction techniques to enable them to go onto do this.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
• What to look for when you’re buying a sewing machine
• You’ll learn about the machine parts and the up keep of the machine,
• How to choose the correct needles and threads
• How to wind the bobbin, thread the machine correctly and adjust the tension.
• How to sew basic stitches, make an open seam, a closed seam
• How to finish raw edges
• How to sew edge stitch and top stitch
• How to sew curves and corners.
• How to make and attach a facing
• How to use fusing
• How to sew a simple dart and a contour dart.
• How to Insert a concealed zip and a lapped zip.
• How to sew gathers and frills
• How to make an elasticated casing
• How to make a turned hem and an invisible hem and a pin hem.
• How to make a machined buttonhole.
By the end of the course you will have gained enough skills to make a simple garment on your own.
HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE DO I ALREADY NEED?
You don’t need any prior experience at all.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
You don’t need to bring anything with you as all materials are provided. You may bring your own sewing machine if you wish.
WHAT COURSE WOULD YOU RECOMMEND AFTER THIS ONE?
When you have completed this course you can progress onto one of our Home Dressmaking class such as Make a Simple Dress, Make a Simple Shirt, Make a Simple Trouser or attend our Alterations course or Fabric workshop.
WHAT PEOPLE HAVE SAID ABOUT THIS CLASS
“Thank you for a great session on Saturday. I learned so much! Thank you”
“Thank you for all your help and patience today! I had a really great day and gained lots of skills. Fantastic set up overall. I will be back!”
New dates coming soon. If you need any assistance, please get in touch.