Intermediate Corset Making
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This is an introductory course for those wishing to learn all the basics of corset making including body measurements and fitting, pattern cutting for corsets and corset construction methods and finishing techniques.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
To begin the workshop, we will spend time discussing the different types of corsets and how a corset works. We will look at appropriate fabrics for corsetry, different methods of construction and corsetry hardware. We will then take body measurements and make a plan. Using the bodice block we will create a pattern and manipulate the pattern to achieve a personal fit. You will then make a toile from calico up in a shape that will be fitted to your individual figure. Then using a suitable fabric of your choice you’ll go onto make a corset for yourself to take home with.
The course will include:
• Tracing, marking and cutting the corset pattern, with notes on fit and alteration
• Making a toile to check for perfect fit
• Preparing and using coutil fabric
• Inserting the busk fastener
• Stitching perfect boning channels
• Assembly without wrinkles
• Cutting/using different types of boning
• Finishing and binding the corset
• Eyelets and lacing the corset
HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE DO I ALREADY NEED?
This is an intermediate level course and you should have learned to sew and make at least one garment before.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
Most materials are provided. You will need to bring suitable fabric for the finished corset. We will advise.
WHAT COURSE WOULD YOU RECOMMEND AFTER THIS ONE?
After completing this course you may wish to take our Couture Sewing Techniques –Stage 1 and Couture Sewing Techniques Stage 3–Embellishments or the Draping on the Stand course.