Beginner’s Complete Home Dressmaking
WHO IS THIS CLASS FOR?
This class is aimed at absolute beginners wanting to learn sewing and garment construction techniques, laying and cutting fabric and how to use a commercial pattern and then put these skills into practice by making a simple skirt for themselves.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
On this 3 day Intensive learn to sew class will cover all the essential skills to get you on the path to making your own clothes.
The class includes:
- What to look for when you’re buying a sewing machine
- You’ll learn about the machine parts and the up keep of the machine,
- How to choose the correct needles and threads
- How to wind the bobbin, thread the machine correctly and adjust the tension.
- How to sew basic stitches, make an open seam, a closed seam
- How to finish raw edges
- How to sew edge stitch and top stitch
- How to sew curves and corners.
- How to make and attach a facing
- How to use fusing
- How to sew a simple dart
- How to insert a concealed zip
- How to make a turned hem and an invisible hem
- How to make a machined buttonhole.
- How to take basic body measurements
- How to choose fabrics, lay the fabric to match checks, stripes etc.
- How to choose and use a commercial pattern, pattern markings and instructions and how to prepare the pattern and fabric ready to cut.
- You will then proceed to cut and construct the skirt, sewing darts, inserting a concealed zip, attach a facing making a hem, then press and finish the garment ready to take home at the end of the class
HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE DO I ALREADY NEED?
You don’t need any prior experience at all.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
You need to bring a medium weight non stretch fabric for the skirt. If fabric is 115cm wide, buy 1m.10. If fabric is 150cm wide, buy 1m 10cm. A 20cm concealed zip, otherwise known as an invisible zip. We provide the skirt pattern. We will send more fabric details when you book.
WHAT CLASS WOULD YOU RECOMMEND AFTER THIS ONE?
When you have completed this class you can progress onto one of our Sewing and Garment Making class such as Make a Simple Dress, Make a Simple Shirt, Make a Lined Dress or attend our Alterations class.