Using Adobe Illustrator for Fashion Design Stage 1
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is aimed at absolute beginners in using the computer programme Adobe Illustrator.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
This course will cover how to use the basic core tools on illustrator, which are necessary for many different areas of design including women’s wear design, textile design, design accessory etc.
By the end of the course students will be able to draw up a garment on Illustrator, and be fully equipped to edit and personalise their designs.
This course includes:
- Orientation to illustrator – main menu bar and tools bar
- Using the Pen tool – Using the pen tool to create straight lines and curved lines
- Using the Scale tool – Using the scale tool to adjust sizes of objects
- Using the Text tool
- Using the Stokes – Adjust strokes
- Fills – Filling shapes with colour, pattern and gradient
- Shortcut/hot keys for actions
- Creating layers
- Drawing actual garments shapes
- Create a basic repeat pattern and re-addressing filling with a pattern
- Brushes – create a simple button brush
- Reflecting and duplicating objects
- Using average joining tool and grouping objects
HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE DO I ALREADY NEED?
Very competent computer skills are essential for this course.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
Students are required to bring their own laptops along to the sessions, and we will require you to download the trail version of Adobe Illustrator prior to the courses. You will receive details of how to do this upon booking confirmation.
Using Illustrator for Fashion Design Classes
You will need to bring:
• USB stick for external saving
• Working copy of Illustrator, already installed onto your laptop
• Pen and paper for note making
Notes: For these classes all students need to have a working version of Illustrator already installed onto their laptops. Ideally, this will be CS4 or above. If you do not already have this software, we recommend downloading the free trial, as this will more than suffice for the course. To do so, please follow the below instructions:
• Visit this website – http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/illustrator.html
• Follow the onscreen instructions – you may need to sign up for an account with Adobe Creative Cloud.
– If you sign up for a Creative Cloud account, you may be asked some questions these are reasonably self-explanatory, but we recommend: When asked your skills, choose beginner, when asked what you are, choose student, and when asked about your usage, choose my own non-professional use.
• Fill in your details and sign up, and the download should start automatically.
• Then sign in to creative cloud, and click Try Adobe Illustrator.
• Illustrator should then download and be installed onto your computer ready to use.
Please Note: The course does not allow of time for students to download this software in class, so please ensure that you have already installed the software before you attend. If you have any problems with this please feel free to get in touch with us and we can assist you.
WHAT COURSE WOULD YOU RECOMMEND AFTER THIS ONE?
For those wanting to put their garment designs into production we recommend our Using Illustrator for Fashion Design – Beginners Stage 2 -The Tech Pack.
WHAT PEOPLE HAVE SAID ABOUT THIS COURSE
“I took this course today with Michelle. It was brilliant and Michelle is a fantastic tutor. Thank you – I picked up some great transferable skills.”
New dates coming soon. If you need any assistance, please get in touch.