Adobe Illustrator for Fashion and the Tech Pack
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is ideal for those setting up a fashion business, wanting to put their fashion designs into production and needing to create a technical pack for garment manufacture course. It is aimed at absolute beginners in using the computer programme Adobe Illustrator.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
Students are required to bring their own laptops along to the sessions, and we will require you to download the trail version of Adobe Illustrator prior to the courses. You will receive details of how to do this upon booking confirmation.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
This starts by covering how to use the basic core tools on illustrator, which are necessary for many different areas of design including women’s wear design, textile design, design accessory etc. By the end of the first part students will be able to draw up a garment on Illustrator and be fully equipped to edit and personalise their designs.
The second part of the course covers the Tech Pack. A Tech Pack is usually prepared by the designer and is an essential tool for dealing with factories and going into production. Tech packs include all the specifications and instructions for the garments to be manufactured. By the end of this course, when combined with Stage 1, students will be able to create a full basic template at an entry industry level.
This course includes:
- Orientation to illustrator – main menu bar and tools bar
- Using the Pen tool – Using the pen tool to create straight lines and curved lines
- Using the Scale tool – Using the scale tool to adjust sizes of objects
- Using the Text tool
- Using the Strokes – Adjust strokes
- Fills – Filling shapes with colour, pattern and gradient
- Shortcut/hot keys for actions
- Creating layers
- Drawing actual garments shapes
- Create a basic repeat pattern and re-addressing filling with a pattern
- Brushes – create a simple button brush
- Reflecting and duplicating objects
- Using average joining tool and grouping objects
This Tech Pack will cover:
- Why/what a technical pack is
- Creating a template for the layout of a Tech pack – heading /composition
- The information that needs to be added to a technical pack – looking at stitch detail/trims, technical terms etc and considering how the garment will be constructed
- Creating technical drawings for the details
- Creating a trim sheet